We’ve heard from several champions who work with or within healthcare organizations, requesting any resources we know of that may support staff wellbeing. A couple resources that have come across our desk are listed below that may offer ways to help support staff wellbeing. Please add any resources you are aware of in the comments below.
Articles shedding light on and seeking to address rising mental anguish
- Health care workers seek to flatten COVID-19’s ‘second curve’—their rising mental anguish
- Mental Health Must Be Part of COVID-19 Response
- Phases of Disaster
- What organisations around the world are doing to help improve doctors’ wellbeing
- Moral injury insights into supporting front-line workers during and after the COVID-19 pandemic
- Project Parachute Provides Free Mental Healthcare to Front-Line Workers
Blogs and guidance on supporting wellbeing from the Institute for Healthcare Improvement:
- Tips for Improving Staff Wellbeing During COVID-19
- Does Joy in Work Matter during a Pandemic?
- What to Do and Say to Support Psychological Safety During the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Conversation and Action Guide to Support Staff Wellbeing and Joy in Work During and After the COVID-19 Pandemic
IHI has a COVID-19 Global Learning Platform for clinicians to share ideas, articles, and learning. One of multiple working groups on this site is on workforce wellbeing. Click here for more information on how to join. Additionally, IHI is hosting a “Stories of the COVID Crisis” site, as stories not only inform, connect and teach us how to navigate challenge and uncertainty. Stories can heal. Encourage all to share their story on this site and read what others are experiencing.
A complication of resources from Lexipol:
Resilience expert Mike Taigman explains how stress affects first responders and provides strategies you can use to manage during the long haul of this pandemic.
- First responders, stress management and Coronavirus: compilation of resources
A compilation of resources from the NHS Education for Scotland and University of Nottingham
- Psychosocial mental health and wellbeing support for staff
- Mitigating the Psychological Impact of COVID-19 on Healthcare Workers: A Digital Learning Package (article) and link to toolkit
We hope this is a good start for those seeking how to support healthcare staff wellbeing, we know there will be many more resources and stories to come. Please share any resources you have that will help our healthcare staff during this time and always.